(copy of a Minoan fresco)
Thomas Fanourakis was born in Heraklion, Crete in 1915. He studied at the Athens School of Fine Arts under Umv. Argyros, from where he graduated in 1940. Until 1967, he worked at the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion where he produced pictorial representations of archaeological findings and at the same time he worked as a stage and costume designer in theatre plays.
His works were exhibited for the first time in a group exhibition in New York (Anda Arzt Gallery) and then in 1963 in Heraklion (Basilica of St. Mark). Three years later he held his first solo exhibition in Athens (Keraia art gallery 1966) before presenting his works in a series of solo and group exhibitions held in private and public art galleries in Chania, Heraklion, Thessaloniki, Athens, Dublin, Stuttgart, in Hakone (Japan) and taking part in Pan-Hellenic and Pan-Cretan exhibitions.
He also participated in the Alexandria Biennale (1980, second prize). He stopped painting in 1984 and closed his art workshop. He donated a large number of his works to the Municipality of Heraklion. Thomas Fanourakis died in December 1993 in Heraklion. He was a member of the Chamber of Fine Arts of Greece.